New Telegraph

EU Regulator Bans Meta’s Use Of Personal Data For Advertising

The European Data Protection Board (EDPB) on Wednesday said it has adopted a binding decision that will result in Facebook and Instagram owner, Meta being restricted from using the personal data of users for targeted advertisements.

The order, according to the EU will “impose a ban on the processing of personal data for behavioural advertising on the legal bases of contract and legitimate interest across the entire European Economic Area.”

The EDPB in a statement posted on its website said the decision followed a request from Norway’s data regulator, which has earlier this year imposed a ban on sending Facebook and Instagram users targeted advertisements based on their personal data which the social media platform collects without their explicit consent.

The EDPB decision forces Ireland’s data regulator, which has authority over Meta’s operations in Europe, to take final measures on the issue within two weeks, with a ban to enter force a week later.

READ ALSO:

The statement said Meta was informed on Tuesday of the EDPB’s decision and assures that it plans to ask for consent to use personal data to target ads that users see when they use the apps.

“The EDPB takes note of Meta’s proposal to rely on a consent-based approach as a legal basis” and said this was being evaluated.

Facebook had some 300 million daily users in Europe at the end of 2022, out of about two billion users worldwide, with Europeans generating about a fifth of Meta’s advertising sales.

Losing the ability to target ads may result in a financial blow to Meta if advertisers reduce their spending.

EDPB Chairwoman Anu Talus said in a statement that the decision to impose a ban was taken after Meta was found not to have complied with orders issued at the end of last year.

“It is high time for Meta to bring its processing into compliance and to stop unlawful processing,” she said.

Read Previous

JUST-IN: Senate Confirms Chira As Auditor-General

Read Next

2024 Hajj: Tour Operators Raise Alarm, Says Pilgrims Would Pay N6m Against Last Year N3m